Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Purina's Live From Lexington Contest - The Bloggers P. 1


I have been keeping up on Purina's Live From Lexington Contest, almost on a daily basis. I read the blogs as frequently as I can as well as vote. It's been an interesting voting period. We've seen a little outburst of concerned readers comment on Kristine Oakhurts' blog regarding, mostly her writing style. Alas, readers do not have to follow her blog and they certainly don't have to contribute to it by leaving a comment, so it was a little surprising that when people chose to leave comments, doing so without much thought as to the negative light they're bringing to the contest as a whole.

Why Kristine?
I'm a relatively conservative blogger myself. I don't use sarcasm, I don't use references to "stero-types" and I certainly don't write about controversial points of view when I do blog here on CS. I just don't. I can see how Kristine's writing could come off as offensive to some. But for the most part, I see someone writing about subjects and matter that are kept pretty hush-hush in the horse world. We all know that at most barns there are those known as "Dressage Queens." I for one, won't refer to someone as a "Dressage Queen" in writing or in person, I choose not to because it's not me nor my style, but in my mind I might be thinking on the lines of the definition of those words.

So we all have to admit, we either are a "Dressage Queen," or know of at least one. They are inevitable in the horse world amongst those who keep horses in their backyard within the confines of barb-wire. They are out there.

There are people who despise english equestrian sports, people who believe the hunter world is full of "snobby" teens and adults and those who think western riding lacks horse to rider communication. There are opinions everywhere. There are A LOT of different people out there in the horse world. People who believe in the common good and people who lack those both. There are people who are formally educated in riding and horses and those who learned alone.

The good thing is, we can choose who and what we want to be associated with. We can also choose to not believe in things that others may and we can choose what types of horses and riding we're involved with. But what we can't do is not be aware that those people we DON'T want to be associated with, are out there.

Kristine's writing in it's most, "controversial" form is plain honest. It might not come out in the la-la land and cart-wheels way we could find, less offensive, but one thing it always is, is honest.

When confronted with differences in opinion, people seem to go nuts. Kristine's writing may be hard for people to grasp because it questions "quiet" (or loud for that matter) things that happen at every barn, in all the horse world. It brings up subjects that people find hard to swallow because they don't know exactly what to think when someone says it how it is without going the less "offensive" route. And usually the less offensive route means not writing about it at all. Much like myself.

I think this contest is interesting in what kinds of reactions it has sparked. A majority of the reaction (commenters) so far to KO has been positive. People really like to hear this stuff in it's most raw and natural form. But it brings out really offended, angry, commenters as well. It makes you wonder why exactly they are so angry and offended? It seems silly to be so offended. Take it with a grain of salt. No one has to agree with her approach, no one has to read her writing. But I for one, love how it DOES spark conversation, debate and thinking. It obviously is worth reading considering that those who have negative things to say, take the time to read and comment. If I was truly offended, I'd walk away not giving the person any recognition.

Well, that's just my take. More on the other bloggers soon.

Go vote!

1 comment:

Elana said...

I think you're right, emotions are running very high in the Purina contest! See the Chronicle of the Horse blogs! But what a great way for Purina to drum up the votes (read: website traffic) they want, and they are donating money to Handicapped Riding, besides. This is just how "reality TV" works! It makes sense for Purina to reward the person who will draw the most attention, not just have interesting commentary and a nice personality. Let's face it, all the women selected as semi-finalists are beautiful! We'd be lucky to have any one of them "blogosponding" for us as we live vicariously through internet updates and youtube videos (any word on if WEG is getting prime time tv coverage?). Luckily, we get two of them, and there is a lot of talent.

Honesty is tough to temper because it's binary. But I have plenty of opinions myself and I enjoy Citizen Horse and comment there sometimes. This contest is putting a lot of pressure on all the contestants to not just deliver quality content, but also behave in a way that represents Purina, WEG, and the audience well. I'm voting every day!

I'm also happy that I found this blog through reference from the contest. I think anything that brings horse people together across disciplines is fun and can't be a bad thing. :-)